Our family Christmas tradition is to enjoy a meal of different ethnicity every year. One year we did Peruvian and many enjoyed it so much we had another Peruvian meal inviting friends and family once again.
Every Christmas there’s always one dish that sticks out as the crowd favorite. With Peruvian, it was Ceviche -hands down.
I found a bunch of different recipes from various websites and sort of mushed the best parts of each into a recipe that suited us.
- 1 large red onion, diced
- 1-2 stalks celery, diced
- 1 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 hot peppers, diced (jalapeno, habanero, serrano)
- 1 pound tilapia, cut into small pieces
- 1 pound shrimp (I use precooked) cut into small pieces
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- ½ - 1 tsp garlic powder
- 2 cups lime juice
- Mix onion, celery, cilantro, hot peppers, tilapia and shrimp in a medium sized bowl. Add cumin, garlic powder, and lime juice, stir well to combine.
- Marinate in the refrigerator for at least one hour - fish will be opaque once it's 'cooked'.